Friday, June 4, 2010

My vent post. It is LONG over due and I kept putting it off and decided it is time to get it off my chest!
Where to even begin??
OK so my little Leighton is not a tiny thing. Well known fact. She is deliciously round all over, cheeks that never end, the most adorable rolls on every body part you see and she is BEAUTIFUL.
Here is the sad part: some people look at her and they see just a fat baby. That's it. Forgetting for a moment that she is a baby, a tiny human, a CHILD OF GOD, that she is small and helpless.
Does that matter to some?? NOPE. Some people have the most ignorant comments about her size, it literally makes me sick.
Please don't get me wrong, even I make comments on her chub, but I LOVE IT and I LOVE HER. There is a HUGE difference in HOW you tell me how chubby she is. The comments like: "oh she is so chubby, I love it!" or " I love those huge cheeks" or she has the chubbiest legs, it is so cute" things like that are fine, cute and welcome.
Now let's review the not so nice comments from friends, family and strangers: ha ha I won't even put them on here. No way, not for my baby to see. She deserves better than that.
I was even at a baby shower and someone from across the way looks at her and made a loud comment and every head turns to look at me. I was embarrassed so my usual natural reaction is to... not defend her but to say dumb things like " I know." or "she is huh?" It is not so much the comments that describe her size it is the comments that draw attention and embarrass me. It is the comments where people say I am hurting her, shame on me, she is suffering. This bugs me still that in a moment I am caught off guard and embarrassed . It's horrible and I have gotten better, I have gotten stronger. I am learning to... wait for it... learning to IGNORE. It's amazing how incredibly hard it is it to just ignore.
Here is what I know. Leighton is amazing. She is so funny and so spunky and has all kinds of personality blossoming. She knows so many words, she knows sign language, she goes out of her way to make you laugh and smile. She is a ham and knows how to get you to giggle. She still lets me hold her and snuggle, she eats very well- meaning healthy. She will eat any fruit and veggie I give her. Since 5 months old she has only eaten the amount of food that is recommended for her age. I had 3 different recourses and I followed those almost exactly. She has never gotten much more than she should. I cannot explain her adorable extra weight. I can't. Her pediatrician doesn't have a hint of concern. He adores her and thinks she is pretty awesome. When I expressed my concern for her he told me " why do you think they make different pant sizes? because every single person is different!" well said Dr. Lofgren. The only unexpected weight gain I know of is in the hospital she barely ate. She wouldn't take food and in 4 days in the hospital she still gained almost 3 pounds. The reason is: the surgery to remove adenoids actually makes the kids GAIN weight. Also stress. Um.... that little girl went through more stress, pokes, tests and pain then I would ever imagine and she held strong, fought and was so tough. She came home and was on oxygen for 2 weeks and is completely better now!
She is a rockstar. A princess an angel. She is my everything. Leighton in my eyes is PERFECT.
Now look at her. What do you see now? See the twinkle in her eye? Her joy for life? Her love for her big sister? Her amazing attitude? It's all there. Maybe just look a little longer at those sweet cheeks!!

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

she is perfect! babies are supposed to be chubby and she honestly doesn't look at all chubbier than a normal baby. not sure why you're getting mean comments. way to be strong. :)

TechieGirl said...

I love your girls Mandi! Both of them are absolutely beautiful daughters of God and remind me how close Paislee and I are. You're girls are going to be best friends forever and ever. They're perfect adorable little bundles of joy! =D

Love,
Trinity

Dan Romney said...

I love my girls and my wife. I don't like the Ignorant comments that some people make about leighton. Leighton is perfect, and those that think she is too big, need to mind their own business. If you don't have anything to say, don't say anything at all.

My girls are perfect, all three of them!